Arthur (Art) Garrett is Keller and Heckman’s General Counsel and co-chair of the firm’s national litigation practice. He advises clients on insurance recovery, with an emphasis on the representation of food industry policyholders in and out of court.
Art specializes in advising food companies on their liability insurance programs, including GL, D&O, E&O, Excess/Umbrella, first-party property and specialized insurance policies, such as product contamination insurance and marine/cargo insurance. He provides advice to his clients on the appropriate insurance coverage and the rights of policyholders in the event of a loss and in disputes with their insurance carriers. A typical representation comprises maximizing the insurance recovery after an incident has occurred by coordinating the defense (in cases of bodily injury) and coverage by the contributing carriers and then working with the insurance carriers to the extent there is a subrogated claim against the entity that caused the loss.
Should the insurance recovery matter need to be litigated, Art’s extensive litigation experience takes him around the United States, litigating cases in state and federal courts and arbitrating disputes on behalf of corporate and trade association clients.
- Maximize insurance recovery in numerous food recall situations, including pomegranates, parsley, alfalfa, cumin, pecans, romaine, pet food, and carbonated drinks.
- Prosecute the subrogated claim against the company causing the recall loss.
- Provide advice on appropriate risk transfer mechanisms, including insurance and indemnity, in commercial transactions
- Provide advice to Trade Associations on all matters of insurance, including event cancellation insurance.
- Fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel
- Chair, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the ABA's Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Faculty, NITA’s Deposition Program at Georgetown University Law School
- Member, The Barristers (Washington, DC)
- Selected by TopVerdict as a Top 10 Defense verdict in the State of California
- Super Lawyer, Insurance Coverage, 2020