Peter Craddock helps companies innovate and use data better in the European Union (EU) and worldwide by providing strategic advice and legal assistance in the areas of privacy, data protection, data governance, AI governance, cybersecurity, e-commerce, digitalization, and software contracting. Peter’s practice covers advisory work, contract drafting, and negotiation, as well as representation of clients in litigation before data protection authorities or the courts.
He has recognized in-depth knowledge in complex matters such as online advertising and content personalization, data-intensive operations such as credit scoring and anti-fraud profiling, and digital marketing.
Peter’s legal experience and distinctive background as a software developer serve him well in advising global clients on new and existing technologies, from artificial intelligence (AI) to novel user identification techniques, and in analyzing data protection laws and regulations with a fresh perspective. He counsels clients through the intricacies of developing new initiatives in compliance with data protection and cybersecurity requirements and has developed smart compliance tools for clients to that end. Among the tools made available to a broader public, a data breach risk assessment tool that he built was awarded a “Highly Commended” label at the Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards 2019, and his General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) fine calculation tool, DeFine, helps organizations better understand data protection financial risks.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Peter was a partner at an international law firm in Brussels, where he focused on providing data protection advice under EU and local law.
- Managed proceedings before the Belgian Data Protection Authority (DPA) for a large telecommunications operator, represented the operator in an appeal against the authority’s decision to fine the operator for non-compliance with the GDPR, and argued the operator’s case before the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- Guided an international online travel agency in the identification of key data transfers, the assessment of its obligations vis-à-vis end-users, and the assessment of measures needed for compliance of the transfers with EU requirements on data transfers
- Assisted a bank and a telecom operator in devising and rolling out a new and unique digital bank offering, in which customer data serves as the backbone for personalization of the bank services
- Developed a smart checklist for companies to monitor their compliance with EU requirements for international data transfers
- Advised a government on the best approach to international data transfers and the devising of a workable Cloud strategy
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards 2019: Highly Commended award received for development of software tool