J. Kathleen (Katie) Bond counsels clients on food, drug, advertising, and labeling regulations with extensive experience in matters related to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and other regulatory bodies. She provides advertising and labeling advice on a variety of products, including food, dietary supplements, over-the-counter drugs, personal care products, cosmetics, and CBD products, as well as on apparel, shoes, jewelry, and sports equipment.
Katie assists clients with the promotion of their products, including influencer campaigns and social media marketing, as well as crafting and substantiating health benefit claims, “green” marketing, “clean” and “sustainable” marketing, comparative advertising, and “Made in the USA” claims. She reviews and provides guidance regarding auto-ship programs, contests and sweepstakes, and the use of customer reviews and star ratings in product promotions. When necessary, she defends clients in FTC enforcement matters, in addition to defending and challenging advertising claims before the National Advertising Division (NAD).
Due to her in-depth knowledge of food, drug, advertising, and ad labeling regulations, she is frequently invited to speak at industry conferences and asked to author thought-leadership articles. Click here for a list of prior speaking engagements and publications.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Katie was a partner at a national law firm focusing on advertising and promotion matters for consumer product and food and drug clients.
- Advised global cosmetic brand in FTC investigation involving implied safety claims for skin products
- Obtained settlement for several individuals in FTC enforcement action under COVID-19 Consumer Protection Act
- Obtained settlement for biotech company affiliated with major university in FTC investigation into cognitive function claims for products
- Assisted several food and dietary supplement brands in California District Attorney investigations involving health-related marketing claims
- Helped start-up company in investigation by Florida Attorney General’s office into marketing claims for sleep, wellness, and relaxation products
- Represented global food brand in investigation by New York Attorney General’s office
- Dismissal obtained for dietary supplement company in litigation against FTC (first-ever successful motion to dismiss in any false advertising action brought by FTC)
- Dismissal obtained for major food company in class action over ingredient content claims
- Assisted in obtaining jury verdict in favor of marketer of store brand dietary supplements in Lanham Act false advertising case
- Filed numerous amicus briefs on behalf of leading dietary supplement trade association in false advertising class actions
- Successfully defended infant formula maker in competitor challenge before NAD
- Represented major gasoline brand in successful NAD challenge against competitor
- Worked with major cosmetic brand in successful NAD challenge against competitor
- Successfully defended several dietary supplement companies before NAD
- Represented major football helmet brand in FTC investigation into concussion and other health and safety claims
- Dismissal and sanctions obtained in counterclaims in RICO civil action involving plaintiff’s class action firm
- Chambers USA Ranked Attorney: Advertising: Transactional & Regulatory – Nationwide, 2022 - 2023
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Rising Star - Consumer Law, Food and Drugs, 2014 - 2016
- Recommended in the US Legal 500 for Marketing & Advertising