Herbert (Herb) Estreicher, Ph.D., has a broad practice in international environmental regulatory law, representing leading manufacturers of chemicals, pesticides, and consumer products. Clients in the chemical, nanotechnology, and biotechnology industries seek his in-depth legal and scientific knowledge of organic chemistry, risk assessment, and bioengineering stemming from his dual degrees – a Ph.D. in Chemistry and a J.D.
Herb is recognized as a leading chemical regulations attorney with a particular emphasis on the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and is one of the few United States (U.S.)-based lawyers with extensive knowledge of the European Union (EU) Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) regulation. In this capacity, he has successfully argued a number of cases before the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) Board of Appeal and has briefed cases before the EU General Court and the European Court of Justice.
Herb counsels clients on product liability risk control and assists with crisis management for embattled products, including wood preservatives and persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic (PBT) chemicals. He helps clients secure and maintain chemical approvals and pesticide registrations in Canada and Europe, advises clients on matters involving the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and on European chemical directives such as the REACH regulation, the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) regulation, and the Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR). He also represents clients in matters involving the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and has participated in the Canadian Strategic Options Process (SOP). In addition, he counsels clients on matters concerning sustainability and the circular economy.
Herb’s extensive knowledge of global regulations has garnered multiple accolades, including Who’s Who Legal: Environment and in Marquis Who’s Who in America. Additionally, he holds multiple bar admissions in the U.S. and is also listed as a foreign lawyer (B List) with the Brussels legal bar. He is often quoted in prominent industry publications, including Inside EPA, Chemical Watch, and BNA Environmental Law Reporter, and is frequently invited to speak at international chemical regulation conferences.
- Served as attorney for Case T-283/15 Esso Raffinage v. ECHA (EU General Court)
- Served as attorney for Case C-471/18 P Germany v. Esso Raffinage (European Court of Justice)
- Served as attorney for Case T-177/19 ExxonMobil Petroleum & Chemical v. ECHA (EU General Court)
- Served as attorney for Case A-005-2011 Honeywell Belgium N.V. (ECHA Board of Appeal)
- Served as attorney for the Pentachlorophenol Registration Review
- Served as Secretariat to the REACH Chromium Metal Consortium and the REACH Chromium Composites Consortium
- Served as legal advisor to the REVODS Consortium as well as various REACH consortia in the metals sector
- American Bar Association (Vice Chair) Committee on Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know
- Who’s Who Legal: Environment 2019-2021 as a leading environmental attorney in Washington, DC
- 2020 Marquis Who’s Who in America