Herbert (Herb) Estreicher represents leading manufacturers of chemicals, pesticides, and consumer products. His broad practice in international environmental regulatory law allows him to take an interdisciplinary approach with his clients and their needs. His extensive background in organic chemistry, risk assessment, and bioengineering is valued highly by his clients in the chemical, nanotechnology, and biotechnology industries. Herb is one of the few U.S.-based lawyers that is an expert on the European Union (EU) Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH) regulation and has successfully argued a number of cases before the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) Board of Appeal and has briefed cases before the EU General Court and the European Court of Justice.
Herb provides advice on product liability risk control and assists his clients with crisis management for embattled products, including wood preservatives and persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic (PBT) chemicals. He helps clients secure and maintain chemical approvals and pesticide registrations in Canada and Europe, advises clients on matters involving the Canadian Environmental Protection Act and on European chemical directives such as the EU REACH regulation, the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) regulation, and the Biocidal Products Regulation. Herb also represents clients in matters involving the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants (POPs) and has participated in the Canadian Strategic Options Process (SOP).
While in law school, Herb was elected to the Order of the Coif and served on the New York University Law Review. He also served as a law clerk for Judge Daniel M. Friedman on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit from 1988-1989. Prior to his legal career, he was a senior research chemist and technical project leader for Shell Chemical Company. This background has enabled him to assist his clients with both their legal and scientific needs.
- Attorney for Case T-283/15 Esso Raffinage v. ECHA (EU General Court)
- Attorney for Case C-471/18 P Germany v Esso Raffinage (European Court of Justice).
- Attorney for Case T-177/19 ExxonMobil Petroleum & Chemical v ECHA (EU General Court)
- Attorney for Case A-005-2011 Honeywell Belgium N.V. (ECHA Board of Appeal)
- Attorney for the Pentachlorophenol Registration Review
- Secretariat to the REACH Chromium Metal Consortium and the REACH Chromium Composites Consortium
- Legal advisor to the REVODS Consortium as well as various REACH consortia in the metals sector
- American Bar Association (Vice Chair) Committee on Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right-to-Know
- Who’s Who Legal: Environment 2019-2021 as a leading environmental attorney in Washington, D.C.
- 2020 Marquis Who’s Who in America.