Samuel Butler works with clients to analyze and manage risks related to product labeling and marketing, with a particular focus on health, nutrition, and environmental advertising in the supplement and consumer product industries.
With an extensive litigation background, Samuel represents companies in federal courts nationwide, as well as before the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the National Advertising Division (NAD), and the National Advertising Review Board (NARB). He also has significant experience in domestic and international arbitration.
Due to his in-depth knowledge of the legal landscape within the advertising field, Samuel is often invited to speak at industry conferences and author thought-leadership articles. Click here for a list of prior speaking engagements, publications, and news items.
Before joining Keller and Heckman, Samuel served as Counsel at a national law firm in Washington, DC. Prior to that position, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. G. Michael Harvey at the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represented a consumer products manufacturer defending against an FTC lawsuit involving several health-related claims and a derivative class action suit
- Obtained settlement for several individuals in FTC enforcement action under COVID-19 Consumer Protection Act
- Advised multiple clients on environmental claims related to recyclability, biodegradability, and compostability
- Performed numerous reviews of label claims on a wide variety of products, including audits of entire product lines
- Represented major food and supplement manufacturers in NAD challenges
- Assisted a supplement manufacturer through discovery obligations connected to an FTC investigation of a significant customer, including extensive document production and deposition preparation and defense, ultimately resulting in a no-money settlement
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), Legal Committee