Richard (Rick) Mann represents his clients in business and trade association disputes relating to food advertising, promotional and labeling claims, food safety and compliance issues, and general business and corporate law matters.
Rick works extensively with clients in the development of compliant advertising, promotional, and labeling claims and campaigns, and the development of appropriate support for such claims. His regulatory experience allows him to represent his clients in proceedings at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the National Advertising Division, and other regulatory agencies and alternative dispute mechanisms. He also has been actively involved in regulatory proceedings in relating to food safety and labeling issues in China, India, Indonesia, and other Asian countries.
Rick writes frequently for Keller and Heckman’s Consumer Protection Connection and The Daily Intake blogs, information hubs for businesses and others interested in staying current on consumer protection and food regulatory matters. He is also an in-demand speaker at conferences across the country and speaks annually at the Keller and Heckman Practical Food Law Seminar.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Rick was a partner in an advertising litigation boutique law firm, which provided him with valuable experience in challenging and defending advertising claims, particularly with respect to health and nutrition claims for foods.
- Handling all aspects of Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection investigations and challenges of advertising claims, resulting in successful closures of investigations
- Negotiated with Federal Trade Commission staff on consent agreements settling various advertising challenges
- Assisted restaurants food manufacturers in adapting to new nutrition related disclosure requirements on labeling, menus, etc.
- Represented food trade associations in regulatory matters in North and South America, Europe, and Asia
- Handled advertising challenges and defenses of such challenges at the National Advertising Division and National Advertising Review Board
- American Bar Association
- Chambers USA Ranked Attorney: Food and Beverages – Regulatory & Litigation – Nationwide, 2021-2022