Gregory (Greg) Kunkle assists telecommunications corporate clients and trade associations with various legal and regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Clients such as electric utilities, oil and gas companies, railroads, public safety agencies, and commercial providers regularly seek Greg’s counsel regarding FCC wireless licensing and compliance issues. He assists clients in identifying and acquiring wireless spectrum through a variety of means, including spectrum leasing, purchase and sale of licenses, and the FCC's auction process.
Greg also supports companies seeking equipment authorizations before the FCC and advises on the FCC’s rules for bringing wireless connected products to market.
Greg counsels clients involved in the FCC's enforcement process, responding to and vigorously defending against complaints and investigations, and negotiating settlements with the Commission.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Greg practiced at a boutique Washington, DC telecommunications law firm where he counseled a wide range of clients, including wireless and wireline service providers (e.g., resellers and prepaid providers) with FCC compliance issues. Greg assisted carrier clients with complex compliance matters before the FCC, including issues regarding Universal Service Fund (USF), slamming, enhanced services, and related issues, and aided a variety of clients, including carriers and end users, with transactional matters.
Greg speaks frequently on wireless regulatory issues at major telecommunications conferences throughout the United States (U.S.) and contributes regularly to industry publications.
- Assisted numerous clients with spectrum acquisition spanning the FCC’s wireless frequency allocations, including the 220 MHz band, AMTS (217/219 MHz), VHF/UHF Part 22 Paging, the 1.4 GHz band, Part 90 800/900 MHz bands, MAS, the 2.5 GHz EBS/BRS band, and the 700 MHz band
- Worked with clients to successfully participate in FCC auctions, including 700 MHz and CBRS
- Assisted a major e-commerce vendor in responding to, and negotiating settlement of, an FCC enforcement investigation into marketing of unauthorized RF devices
- Developed comprehensive plans and in-house training sessions for wireless licensees regarding compliance with FCC regulations
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Land Mobile Communications Council (LMCC), Former President
- ENTLEC Regulatory and Technology Committee, Co-Chair, Spectrum Subcommittee