Devon Hill counsels clients on the regulatory issues involved in the global marketing of new foods, cosmetics, packaging, and related products and compliance issues that arise for products already on the market. He has over two decades of experience assisting clients that make food, cosmetics, and materials that contact food. He primarily assists clients with regulatory compliance and safety and policy issues in the United States and most countries around the world.
Food and drug packaging clients seek Devon’s advice due to his extensive knowledge of packaging compliance in countries which have established food contact regulatory systems. He is known by his clients for his scientific and practical approach to regulatory matters and his search for an overall solution that centers on the client’s business needs.
Devon serves as outside counsel for numerous trade industry groups and coalitions. He frequently meets with officials at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other federal and state agencies to advocate on issues that affect his clients. He frequently drafts comments on regulatory proposals, amicus briefs, and policy papers on pending legislation for these groups. He is known for his work on substances that are considered generally recognized as safe (GRAS) as well as for his work on industry responses to food additive and citizens petitions before FDA.
In addition to assisting clients with food and food packaging regulations, Devon advises clients on issues surrounding the regulation and approval of pesticides and antimicrobials under the U.S. Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
Devon is frequently invited to speak at domestic and global conferences on food, packaging, and policy matters.
Prior to attending law school, Devon obtained two Bachelor’s Degrees in Chemistry and Biology and earned a Master’s Degree in Chemistry, then worked as a research chemist and in industry. He uses his extensive technical background to assist clients when navigating often-inseparable scientific and legal issues.
- Successfully obtained scores of effective Food Contact Notifications (FCNs) on numerous types of food contact substances such as replacement plasticizers, new can coatings, paper additives, biopolymers, and other types of products
- Provided counseling and opinions on compliance with California’s Proposition 65, including exposure evaluations to support safe harbor conclusions, safe use determinations, and defense against chemical listings
- Successfully prepared GRAS Notifications for animal feed ingredients, including the first three GRASNs filed with CVM under their GRAS program
- Represented a large number of trade associations regarding the implementation of portions of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)and reached a successful outcome after several meetings with FDA officials and the submission of several rounds of written comments.
- Worked with industry and FDA officials to ensure the orderly phase-out of substances used in food contact materials.
- Counseled numerous clients on EU and German BfR compliance of food contact materials and successfully filed petitions to obtain new listings for these products.
- Drafted an Amicus Brief to defend the GRAS Notification program on behalf of a coalition of food industry trade associations
- Represented trade associations with government officials in China and Japan on the development of new regulatory systems for food contact materials and drafted industry comments to advocate for science-based regulations
- Met with the head of California’s Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and submitted comments urging the development of a science-based reasonable approach for food packaging on behalf of a multisector group representing much of the food packaging industry, including several large trade associations and companies
- Evaluated the safety and compliance of numerous additives present in animal feed, cosmetics, and drug packaging
- Submitted Drug Master Files (DMF) setting forth a safety evaluation of materials used in drug packaging applications
- Counseled clients on potential market withdrawals and potential recalls, also advises clients on facility inspections
- Advised clients on the regulatory compliance of antimicrobials and preservatives, especially regarding products that have dual jurisdiction under the FDA and EPA under FIFRA
- Advised clients on sustainability initiatives, single-use packaging bans and other proposed environmental legislation and regulations around the world
- Regularly advised clients regarding challenges to the existing clearances and safety of chemicals used in food and food packaging, including responses to food additive petitions and filing of abandonment petitions
- Filed several comments with the SEC for industry on the proper implementation of the conflict minerals regulation
- American Chemistry Society
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI)
- The Best Lawyers in America®: FDA Law, 2019 – 2023
- Chambers USA Ranked Attorney: Food and Beverages – Regulatory & Litigation – Nationwide, 2018 – 2023