Timothy (Tim) Doughty works with corporate clients, service providers, and trade associations on legal and regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), courts, and state agencies. Clients seek Tim’s counsel on a broad variety of policy, regulatory, and transactional telecommunications and information technology matters.
While in law school, Tim spent a semester as a Legal Intern in the Investigations and Hearings Division of the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau. He was a member of the Catholic University Law Review and the Moot Court Association where he competed in the 2015 National Telecommunications Moot Court Competition. Tim graduated with a certificate from the Communications Law Institute.
Prior to joining the firm as an Associate, Tim gained valuable hands-on experience in licensing matters as a Telecommunications Licensing Specialist at Keller and Heckman.
- Drafted and negotiated complex communications contracts, wireless and wireline services agreements, Software-as-a-Service agreements, tower lease agreements, and asset purchase agreements for the sale of telecommunications equipment and wireless spectrum
- Assisted clients with all aspects of wireless licensing, the experimental licensing process, equipment authorizations, and spectrum acquisition through mergers and acquisitions and FCC spectrum auctions
- Provided guidance on public safety issues, including E911, Next Generation 911, emergency preparedness and recovery, and FCC outage reporting rules
- Represented clients in FCC enforcement and complaint proceedings
- Worked with clients to initiate and participate in complex rulemaking proceedings before the FCC
- Counseled critical infrastructure and communications companies on the tower registration and approval process and compliance at both the federal and state level, as well as tower and antenna siting rules under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA)
- Provided guidance on FCC Universal Service programs and contribution compliance
- Assisted clients with pole attachment rental rate analysis and FCC pole attachment complaint proceedings before the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA), Co-Chair, Rocky Mountain Chapter
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch: Technology Law, 2024
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Washington, DC, 2021 – 2023