Mike Gentine practices in the areas of product safety and consumer protection, assisting manufactures, retailers, and other commercial clients on legal, regulatory, enforcement, and penalty matters before various agencies, including the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). He counsels clients on compliance strategies and government relations, helping them to advance legislative and policy objectives at the state and federal levels.
Mike has extensive product recall experience including negotiating or collaborating on consumer product and motor vehicle recalls in multiple international jurisdictions. Additionally, he has advised a major recreational product and motor vehicle manufacturer on product safety and compliance strategies, and represented the company in agency proceedings, stakeholder organizations, and trade associations.
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman Mike held multiple positions at the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). He served as senior counsel for the Office of CPSC Commissioner Joseph P. Mohorovic from 2014-2017, where he advised on various policy, enforcement, and ethics issues. In addition, he led several efforts to reform rules and regulations, including an initiative to reduce the paperwork burden on CPSC-regulated companies. He was also a CPSC legal fellow and law clerk in the Office of Commissioner Nancy Nord.
Besides his service at the CPSC Mike has experience in government relations where he advanced legislative and policy objectives before federal, state, and local governments. His governmental legal training includes service with the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee and U.S. Navy Judge Advocate General (JAG) Corps.
Mike is a frequent speaker at industry and other conferences on product safety topics including, regulatory, compliance, and government affairs.
- Advised manufacturers of consumer products – including consumer electronics, children’s products, toys, and home care products – regarding regulatory compliance and product safety; litigation risk analysis and mitigation; and enforcement risk management
- Represented manufacturers of consumer products in defect, enforcement, and penalty proceedings before CPSC
- Represented manufacturers of motor vehicles, motor vehicle equipment, and child restraint systems in proceedings before NHTSA and advised such manufacturers on regulatory compliance and product safety; litigation risk analysis and mitigation; and enforcement risk management, including compliance with Early Warning Reporting (EWR) requirements under the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability, and Documentation (TREAD) Act
- Conducted due diligence reviews of companies during and in advance of acquisitions regarding assessments of compliance, enforcement, and penalty risk
- Testified before Congress regarding operations of the CPSC
- Represented various consumer product manufacturers in meetings with congressional staff, seeking structural reform and appropriations increase for CPSC
- Marketing Chair, Food Law Specialized Litigation Group, Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Symposium Planning Committee, International Consumer Product Health and Safety Organization (ICPHSO)
- Steering Committee, National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) CPSC Coalition
- Member, Board of Directors, Military Veterans in Journalism