Manon Ombredane advises clients on regulatory compliance matters and litigation cases relating notably to EU and Belgian food law. She focuses on issues related to labeling, claims, notification, and authorization of regulated food products, such as food supplements, food ingredients (e.g. food additives and food enzymes), or novel food. Through her litigation work, Manon challenged before national court the classification of a product as “food” and pertaining refusal to place the product on the market. She also advises clients on the regulatory issues surrounding cannabis- and hemp-based products, including cannabidiol (CBD) and related cannabinoids.
While her primary focus is on food law, Manon also assists other practices of the firm on EU Regulatory and Environmental Law. She advises clients on Product Safety and Liability, notably e-cigarettes, as well as supports the industrial and chemicals practice. She also has a broad advocacy practice and is the client’s representative in European trade association and work for the International Chewing Gum Association (ICGA).
Prior to joining Keller and Heckman, Manon gained experience working with various organizations in the EU and developed a well-rounded background that includes familiarity with intellectual property law, food and agricultural law, competition law, product liability, and framework agreements and services.
- Helped companies secure approval of regulated food ingredients at EU level e.g. food additives, food enzymes and national level e.g. processing aids.
- Notified regulated products such as food supplement and fortified food to national competent authorities
- Prepared enforcement focused material regarding the positioning of client’s products (e.g. fortified food / food supplement, novel food / food additives / food flavorings)
- Reviewed the labelling and marketing materials of clients to be aligned with EU and possible national requirements.
- Helped companies understand the relevant regulatory provisions applicable to their products
- Prepared documentation supporting the legal classification of a product in a pre-litigation phase
- Elected member of the European Food Law Association (EFLA) Council
- Member of the European Women Lawyers Association (EWLA)