Pour accéder à ce document en français, cliquez ici.
Katia Merten-Lentz is head of the firm’s EU Food and Feed Team. She advises clients in European food, feed, and agricultural law, areas in which she is a leading practitioner. Her expertise extends to environmental law, biotechnologies (new breeding technologies), and cosmetics law.
Katia and her team have extensive expertise on European authorization procedures on novel foods and new or extended use of existing additives for food and feed stuff. This includes the coordination with the EC and EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) on such topics as composing and interpreting scientific and legal data and answering questions from national and European authorities.
Katia and her team also assist clients with food-related issued linked to product development, ranging from marketing (food labeling, health, and nutrition claims) to innovation in areas such as nanomaterials, genetically modified organisms, and novel foods.
Katia works regularly with academic institutions, European and national professional bodies, and commercial organizations. She often represents clients before national and EU courts and helps them manage food crises, including risk assessment and the recall and withdrawal of products.
Katia is a frequent speaker at international conferences, seminars, and workshops on food and feed law and regularly contributes to food and feed publications.
- Continues to provide detailed, wide-ranging advice to major international airline on the complex formulation and labelling issues for organic foods delivered on board Air France’s aircrafts as well as all aspects of catering issues, including food law regulations, waste regulation, and cold chain management; provide monthly regulatory monitoring at both the national and European Union level within the ISO framework and the complex formulation and labelling issues for organic foods delivered on board Air France’s aircrafts
- Supports international cheese company with all regulatory affairs that arise in the creation, development, marketing and labelling of the firm’s innovative cheese products, including regulations that surround nutritional composition, food processing techniques, additives, and flavours
- Provides highly sophisticated legal work and counsel on the direction of innovation, ingredients, product development, and techniques to ensure that products can be brought to market quickly, and that investments into R&D are successful in the sense that they are legally valid when the product is ready.
- Provided client with complex legal advice for requirements that arose as a result of regulations or legal contention on the topics of labelling, claims, and ingredient status regulations and oversaw litigation between the client and France’s DGCCRF (Direction générale de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de la Répression des fraudes – the national body that oversees compliance with competition and consumer rules)
- Helped client successfully launch its innovative product in the U.S. through assistance with labelling, ingredient composition, processing, and labeling, with inroads to introduce the product into the European market.
- Member of the Council of Order of the Paris Bar (elected in December 2019)
- World Food Regulation Review advisory board member
- Member of the Expert Advisory Panel at FoodNavigator
- Tier 1 ranked on both individual and team level in the EU and jurisdictions Belgium and France in legal directories Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners